Recipe by: Chris Kilham
In 1983, Chris Kilham made his first cannabis-infused butter as a way to get extremely high. Over the years, as he came to understand the plant’s healing qualities, his intentions and techniques have evolved. His butter has become more delicious and nutritious, boosting cannabis’s health benefits with the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of honey. To make his butter, Chris simmers a third of an ounce of cannabis with a stick of butter over low heat for about twenty minutes, strains it, whisks in honey, and lets it solidify. Chris prefers to use a sativa for this staple, which he shares with many friends. It’s lovely as a dab on toast or a dollop in a smoothie, and it works well in many!
Makes about 1 cup
THC per cup: 93.6 milligrams
1 ⁄ 3 ounce cannabis flowers
1 stick butter (1 cup)
1 ⁄ 2 cup organic honey
1 dash vanilla extract
– Place cannabis into a coffee grinder and grind until powdered.
– The cannabis will stick to the insides of the grinder.
– Scrape it out thoroughly; you don’t want to waste that.
– Place butter in a 6″, shallow frying pan or saucepan.
– Melt butter slowly.Slowly add ground cannabis to butter.
– Stir constantly with a wooden spoon while butter simmers at very low heat for 10–20 minutes.
– Pour butter and cannabis mixture into a small bowl.
– Let cool until butter starts to solidify, about 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
– Let cool for about an hour and whisk again, ensuring butter and honey are
– Transfer to a jar, label, and store in refrigerator for up to 2 months or freezer for up to 6 months.