Majoon Love Balls (THC Munchkins)
Recipe by: Chris Kilham
Chris Kilham discovered majoon, an Arabic word for cannabis candy, when he read Richard Burton’s translation of The Arabian Nights in the 1980s. He found a footnote describing an aphrodisiacal confection made from “ganja or young leaves, buds, capsules, and florets of poppy seed and flowers of the thorn-apple (datura) with milk and sugar-candy, nutmegs, cloves, mace, and saffron, all boiled to the consistency of treacle, which hardens when cold.” The Indians used highly intoxicating “gum of hemp,” collected by hand or by passing a blanket over cannabis plants early in the morning. Intrigued, Chris tinkered with the recipe for decades, and he’s perfected these beauties. Made from dried fruits, nuts, and a cup of Chris’s cannabis-honey butter, but without poppies or delirium-inducing datura, Chris’s Majoon Love Balls are perfect little cannabis snacks. You can temper their dosage by rolling them larger or smaller, and they’ll keep in the freezer for weeks or even months. The first time you make them, roll them small.
Recipe makes about 20 Love Balls
Aprox 5mg THC per serving
10–12 dried dates (preferably medjools)
10 dried apricots, organic and sulfur-free
1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 ⁄ 2 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 ⁄ 2 cup almonds
1 ⁄ 2 cup shelled pistachios
1 cup Bonzo Butter, softened
- Fine-chop all ingredients, except Bonzo Butter and coconut, by hand on a wooden cutting board.
- Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Add Bonzo Butter and knead with hands. Roll into balls about 1″ in diameter (larger or smaller will make them more or less potent).
- Roll balls carefully in crushed coconut until coated.
- Store in a labeled, airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.